Learning how to apply eyeshadow like a pro doesn’t have to be complicated if you have the right beauty tricks and tools.
Whether you are suiting up for the office or prepping for a hot date, you can powder your lids like a makeup magician using a few glam squad-approved eye-painting skills.
Table of Contents
- Things You’ll Need
- Step 1: Paint your lids perfectly with the proper beauty tools.
- Step 2: Perk up your eyes with contrasting shadow shades.
- Step 3: Dot primer on your eyes to create intense eye looks that last.
- Step 4: Sweep a neutral shadow on the lid with one eye closed to go high-glam modern.
- Step 5: Create definition with a smoky contour shade.
- Step 6: Draw a dramatic thin line.
- How to Apply Eyeshadow like a Pro Tips
Things You’ll Need
- Round eyeshadow brush
- Angled shadow brush
- Various brown-based shadows
- Small sponge
- Steel gray or golden bronze shadows
- White to taupe eyeshadow
- Black or navy eyeliner
- Translucent powder
- Large blush brush
To take your beauty game to the next level, you’ll only need two brushes for your eyelids.
Purchase a round eyeshadow brush to deposit matte and shimmery shadows on the upper lid.
Need to set the stage for a dramatic and sexy nighttime eye? Create depth and contour in the crease with a tapered eyeshadow brush.
Step 2: Perk up your eyes with contrasting shadow shades.
While brushing blue shadow across your lids to match your baby blues seems ideal, pro makeup mavens discourage this matchy-matchy look.
In fact, TLC’s “What Not to Wear” makeup guru Carmindy Bowyer says when it comes to shadow colors, “opposites attract.”
When choosing eyeshadow colors, use shades opposite your eye color. The contrast makes the eyes stand out.
For example: To add oomph to green eyes, use plum; while hazel and brown eyes shine in blues and greens!
Step 3: Dot primer on your eyes to create intense eye looks that last.
To keep your shadow from flaking or disappearing before noon, use a small sponge to spread a pea-sized amount of liquid primer on the eye.
Voila! — You’ll have perfectly pretty peepers featuring sexy and shimmery shadow colors.
Step 4: Sweep a neutral shadow on the lid with one eye closed to go high-glam modern.
Using your round eyeshadow brush, spread and blend the powdery matte makeup from the crease to the lash line.
Need to hide a few skin imperfections? This neutral eyeshadow color is a magic beauty eraser.
Step 5: Create definition with a smoky contour shade.
With your eye open, move the angled eyeshadow brush along your crease.
To let precious metals take center stage, deposit a steel gray or golden bronze color to add depth, drama and to go festive for the evening.
Open the eye with a highlight taupe or white shade applied under the brow bone.
Got unblended shadows?
Not a good look! Blend all shadow colors with a large blush brush for a makeup artist-approved eye look.
Step 6: Draw a dramatic thin line.
For a more sophisticated and sexy eye, à la Kim Kardashian, smudge the shadow a bit with your finger. Create eye intensity by finishing your pro shadow look with two coats of jet-black mascara.
How to Apply Eyeshadow like a Pro Tips
- Brown is your friend! The best eyeshadow colors that complement all skin tones and colorings are brown-based hues.
- Sweep loose translucent powder under the base of the eye to catch shadow that falls beneath the eyes.
- After applying your eye makeup, use a large blush brush to remove any excess powder and shadow from your face.
Eyeshadow Tips References & Resources